This week I am devoting myself to carrots..
Carrots were the home fronts secret weapon. The Ministry of Food propaganda machine convinced children that carrots on sticks were just as tasty as ice-creams, that eating lots of carrots helped you ‘see in the dark’ during blackouts, and that Dr Carrot would make everything better.
Carrots were also used to sweeten cakes and biscuits (cookies) replacing some of the sugar used in many recipes..
Carrot Cookies (makes 12)
- 1 tablespoon margarine (Earth Balance for vegans)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 6 tablespoons of self-raising flour (plain flour add 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder)
- 4 tablespoon of grated raw carrot
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Cream the fat and the sugar together with the vanilla essence
- Mix in the grated carrot
- Fold in the flour adding water as it gets dry
- Drop spoonfuls onto greased tray and press down a little
- Pre-heat oven to 200C
- Sprinkle tops of cookies with extra sugar
- Place in oven for 10- 15 minutes
PS Cinnamon added would be rather nice